Preparation 10 minutes
Cooking 2 minutes
2 3/4 cups carrot juice, chilled
2/3 cup plain yogurt
grated zest of 1/2 orange and juice of 1 orange. about 1/2 cup
4 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped Iresh tarragon
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 slices whole-grain bread
Each serving provides
- 181 calories
- 6g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 26 g carbohydrates
- 7 g protein • 3g fiber
- For a shghtly thicker soup with a ‘nutty’ flavor. cut crusts of 3 extra slices of wbole-grain bread, And process the bread in a blender with the carrot juice. yogurt. and ohms
- Fresh cilantro works well instead of tarragon
- Try tomato juice in place of carrot juice and add a dash of hot sauce for a piquant tomato soup.
For a refreshing and healthy cold soup, try this fusion of yogurt, herbs, and two juices whose vibrant orange color is the product of the cancer-fighting pigment beta-carotene.
- Preheat the broiler to high. Pour the carrot juice into a large bowl and whisk in the yogurt until smooth. Add the orange zest. juice. and chives. then whisk again. Ladle into four soup bowls.
- Mix the tarragon with the oil. Toast the bread for 1 minute on one side under the broiler. then turn and lightly brush the untoasted side with the tarragon oil Toast for another 1 minute until golden and crisp. Season the soup with freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve.
- You can make this soup in advance and chill for several hours in the fridge before serving. Add chopped tarragon to the oil well in advance to infuse it with the herb flavor and then store it in an airtight jar in the fndge until needed.
- If you can’t get carrot juice from your supermarket, make It with an electric juicer or in a blender. For this recipe. you will need 2 pounds of peeled or scrubbed carrots. Juice the carrots according to the juicer directions or purée them in a blender. Add a little water if the mixture becomes too dry or the blades stick. Pour the carrot juice into a container and add 2 cups water. Lot stand for 30 minutes, then strain through a fine-meshed sieve.
Betacarotene. found in atfundanee in carrots and other brightly colored fruits and vegetables. has strong ittiouclant properties and may help to protect against cancer. It is converted in the body to vitamin A. which helps to promote healthy skin and improve vision in dim light.